Hey everyone welcome back! I wanted to create a healthier (lower calorie) version of the famous Mexican Chipotle Bowl. The recipe is entirely vegan as usual and I substituted the rice for quinoa to cut down on carbs. This is a regular dish in my family and we absolutely love it. It is very easy to make and not to mention super flavorful and delicious. I hope you enjoy as much as my we do. If you’d like the recipe then check it out down below!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes Serving size: 3
1 cup quinoa
2 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 large ripened avocados
15oz can black beans
2 medium tomatoes
15oz can sweet corn
1/4 teaspoon himalayan salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- Pour water in a medium pot and bring to a bowl. Place your (washed) quinoa in the pot on medium heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze 1 fresh lime into the quinoa. Add the cilantro and mix together.
- Chop the tomatoes into medium/small cubes. Set about 1/4 aside for the guacamole.
- Peel and mash the two avocados together. Add juice from the other lime, Himalayan salt, the chopped tomatoes set aside and mix together.
- Drain the corn and and place in a bowl. Add the paprika, black pepper, dried oregano, and chipotle powder to the corn and mix together.
- Drain and rinse the canned black beans to wash away extra sodium.
Add quinoa, tomatoes, corn, and black beans to your bowl and top off with the guacamole. It’s that simple!
This recipe also goes really well with hot sauce. I randomly enjoy this with my favorite vegan sour cream as well. It’s from the brand Tofutti and I purchase it at my local Kroger or Whole Foods.