Hey guys welcome back! So, I’ve been hearing all about the buzz lately on this jackfruit pulled-pork and I wanted to give it a try. I did try it out in California, if you looked at that post and it was pretty good but I felt like the barbecue sauce was too strong. I also didn’t like the bread they used; it was on a stiff toast and was very crunchy. So, I decided to make my own recipe. With jackfruit, it doesn’t have much flavor so you can manipulate it to taste however you’d like. I personally like a sweet bbq sauce but feel free to use whatever you prefer! (as long as it’s vegan of course) As far as jackfruit, I live in Michigan and it is really hard to find it, especially when it is not in season. So, I found a great brand that sells them online and I personally just order them on amazon. I will list a picture down below so you know what it looks like. I am not affiliated with this brand, just sharing what I use for those who can’t find jackfruit just like me!
Serving size: 2 servings
Cook time: 40 minutes
What you’ll need:
- 1 (7.9 oz) Can Young Jackfruit
- 1 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce of your choice
- Pour the can of jackfruit with its water inside of a medium pot. Pour water filling just above the jackfruit and bring to a bowl for about 10-15 minutes.
- Using forks, pull the jackfruit apart into small “pulled-pork” looking shreds and lay them out on a tray with parchment paper.
- Add the dry spices and bake jackfruit on 400° F for 10 minutes.
- Take the jackfruit out of the oven and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix everything together and spread them out once again on the parchment paper. Bake for another 15 minutes.
I added sauerkraut to my sandwich which I found goes really well with this recipe. And that’s it! It is actually pretty simple and doesn’t require too much. This recipe is enough for about 2 sandwiches. I like to double or triple up when I am having some friends over and it’s been such a hit with everyone so far. I hope you enjoy this recipe and let me know in the comments down below what you think.